Kingstone And Thruxton Primary School


Kingstone, Hereford, Herefordshire HR2 9HJ


Key Safety and Well-being Information

School closures

This is an unprecedented and worrying time for many children and their families and as a school we want to support you through this difficult period. Below is some key safeguarding information and key services that you or your child might find useful in this difficult time.

Protect a child or young person

There are many possible signs of abuse and neglect, ranging from physical injury to changes in appearance or behaviour.  Alternatively, you may witness an incident or a child may tell you that he or she is being harmed. If you are worried, please report it. You could help to save a child's life. Even if you don't know them, or even their name. Safeguarding is everyone's responsibility.

In an emergency or if someone is in immediate danger, always call 999.

If you think that a child has been harmed or is being neglected, contact the Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub on 01432 260800 or call the Police on 101.

Emergency out of hours’ social work services

The Emergency Duty Team (EDT) provides an out of hours response, on behalf of Worcestershire Social Care Services and Herefordshire Children's Services, to emergency situations that arise outside normal Social Care office hours.

When is this service available?

  • Friday afternoon from 4:30pm to Monday morning until 9:00am
    Monday afternoon from 5:00pm to Thursday morning until 9:00am
  • This includes all bank holidays.
  • After midnight messages left on EDT voice bank activates an EDT social worker's pager.

What is an emergency situation?

In an emergency or if someone is in immediate danger, always call 999.

EDT defines this as 'a situation in which an adult or child is at risk of significant harm and which cannot wait until the next working day for an assessment of the risk and need of provision of services.'There are a number of situations in which the Emergency Duty Team will become involved to ensure the safety of an individual and the community.

EDT does not:

  • carry out emergency assessments under the Mental Health Act
  • have access to emergency accommodation for adults who claim to be homeless; such cases should be referred to the Emergency Housing Officer
  • provide in-house secure accommodation for children and young people
  • have access to emergency finance. EDT will refer to the Department of Work and Pensions Emergency Service
  • undertake work that has been started by social care area teams during social care office hours
  • provide an emergency service during social care office hours

Childline - talk in confidence

If you are a child or young person and would like to talk to someone in confidence, you can call Childline on 0800 1111 even if you don't have any credit and it won't show on your phone bill.

When you call Childline, you'll go through a switchboard where someone friendly will ask if you want to speak to a counsellor. You can also go to the Childline website to log in for a 1-2-1 counsellor chat (you might wait a little while before being connected with a counsellor). Or you can send Childline an email from your Childline locker.

You can find more information about types of abuse, what happens when you report abuse, and the work being done by social services and other professionals to protect children in Herefordshire on the Herefordshire Safeguarding Children Board website.


Talk Community Directory

Talk Community is Herefordshire’s online service for wellbeing information and signposting to local services, groups, events and activities across the county to help residents stay independent, happy and healthy.

The service is run by Herefordshire Council and is a free and easy to access resource for local residents and professionals, such as GPs and social workers.  It provides an extensive range of information covering everything from health and wellbeing, housing, carers support and transport to legal and financial advice, bereavement support and home adaptations.  It also offers a comprehensive service directory, containing details of over 600 local service providers to help you meet your needs.   

To find out more and see how Talk Community can help you, visit the Home - Talk Community Directory.

Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)

Specialist Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) are delivered across the whole of Hertfordshire.

In an emergency or if someone is in immediate danger, always call 999.

CAMHS can be contacted on 01432 842233.



School Nurse Service

Changes to the School Nursing Service are as follows:

From Monday 23rd March 2020 children and young people can text us on

·        07813 451034

·         Text service is available for support between 9am and 5pm

·         One to one service is still available

·         Confidentiality will be maintained under the current safeguarding criteria (unless they are at risk of harm)

·         Alternatively  phone the office 01432 363940 or email  -This is manned from 9am til 5pm


Bereavement Support

Phoenix Bereavement Support Services (Hereford)

Supports children, young people and their families when someone close to them dies. Offers advice and guidance, opportunities to meet people who understand, support whilst exploring emotions surrounding grief. Offers support for parents and carers with children up to the age of 21. They also work with many families where death is sudden – through suicide, road traffic accident or illness – and with organisations supporting families when death is anticipated.





Winston’s Wish

Winston’s Wish was the UK’s first childhood bereavement charity. We have been supporting bereaved children since 1992 and we continue to lead the way in providing specialist child bereavement support services across the UK


National Freephone Helpline*: 08088 020 021 (open 9am – 5pm, Monday – Friday)

ASK email support:

Crisis Messenger: Text WW to 85258 (available 24/7)

Online chat: click here (available 12-4pm, Wednesdays and Fridays)


Hope Support Services

Award winning support is available to anybody aged 11-25 when a close family member is diagnosed with a life-threatening illness – such as cancer. If that’s you, we’d love to chat.

Email us:
Call us: 01989 566317


Additional support contacts

Young Minds

If you are a young person experiencing a mental health crisis, you can text the Text the Young Minds Crisis Messenger, for free 24/7 support across the UK if you are experiencing a mental health crisis. 

  • If you need urgent help text YM to 85258
  • All texts are answered by trained volunteers, with support from experienced clinical supervisors
  • Texts are free from EE, O2, Vodafone, 3, Virgin Mobile, BT Mobile, GiffGaff, Tesco Mobile and Telecom Plus.

Speak to their experts at the Parents Helpline – call 0808 802 5544

Useful and young person friendly information available at


For more information visit the Samaritans webpage here.

Email them at or Call them on 116 123 for free.

You can talk to Samaritans for as long as you need to.

You don’t have to tell them your name or any personal details if you don’t want to.

When you contact us we can’t see your telephone number and your email address is removed before it reaches a volunteer. 


For more information visit the Childline website here.

Contact them online or call them on 0800 1111 for free.

We're a safe place for you to talk.

Calls are not recorded and our number won't show up on any phone bills.


A simple meditation app, with a free trial, to help you feel calmer. Available to download on the App store.


Young person friendly information on medication available at

Get Self Help

Visit to download free worksheets which may help you.