The children are taught art as part of their termly topic. Children are taught a progression of artistic skills over the course of their school learning journey. Each skills is progressively built upon throughout our children’s learning journey.
The work of famous local, national and international artists are explored to enhance the children's learning and these are linked to termly topics.
The children's learning is further enhanced with whole school ‘exhibition’ days where the children showcase their pieces of art and celebrate their learning outcomes with their parents/carers and peers. Children take this opportunity to explain the skills needed to complete their polished art pieces. We also take pride in our children and parents crafternoons, where our parents come into school to work on a piece of art/craft with their child.
Art in our Early Years Foundation Stage:
Pupils explore and use a variety of media and materials through a combination of child initiated and adult directed activities. They have opportunities to learn to:
• Explore the textures, movement, feel and look of different media and materials
• Respond to a range of media and materials, develop their understanding of them in order to manipulate and create different effects.
• Use different media and materials to express their own ideas
• Explore colour and use for a particular purpose.
• Develop skills to use simple tools and techniques competently and appropriately.
• Select appropriate media and techniques and adapt their work where necessary.