At Kingstone and Thruxton Primary School, with use the Read, Write, Inc. (RWI) Phonics Programme. This is a synthetic phonics based resource which works on a 'stage, not age' philosophy. We run the phonics sessions during the first lesson of each day.
Using RWI, the children learn to read effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into comprehending what they read. It also allows them to spell effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into composing what they write.
When using RWI to read the children will:
- Learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- Learn to read words using Fred Talk
- Read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out
- Show that they comprehend the stories by answering questions.
When using RWI to write the children will:
- Learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent 44 sounds.
- Learn to write words by saying the sounds in Fred Talk
- Write simple sentences
- Compose stories based on picture strips
- Compose a range of stories based on writing frames.
Here are some videos to explain why phonics is so important!